Good news, Facebook’s new Fan Page call-to-action buttons will help drive more source traffic from your Fan Page to your website. While this new feature was announced on the Facebook blog on December 11, the product has yet to be fully rolled out in the U.S. or worldwide. But limited releases have begun in the United States and are expected to be completed by the end of 2015.
The new call to action buttons can definitely work. Dollar Shave Club served as Facebook’s beta tester, using the call-to-action button to facilitate customer acquisition. The results were good.
Time period: Three weeks
Call to action: Sign Up
Results: 2.5x higher conversion rate versus other comparable social placements
What it looks like (the sign up button to the left of the traditional Like button).
The call-to-action buttons can link to an external URL. Their purpose is to support the broad business objective of a business or brand, such as gaining new subscribers, creating purchases, booking reservations, driving traffic, or generating leads.
Here are the seven call-to-actions (and their probable uses).
- Book Now
- Travel and reservations (Travel, Real estate)
- Contact Us
- Lead generation for services, subscriptions, b2b (Nonprofit, Education, Finance, Healthcare)
- Use App
- For productive or informative apps (Technology, Games, Social)
- Play Game
- For gaming apps (Games, Social)
- Shop Now
- For ecommerce (Apparel, Consumer Electronics, Home, Crafts and hobbies)
- Sign Up
- For customer acquisition or subscription lists (Technology, Media and entertainment)
- Watch Video
- Useful for viral marketing, or potentially, b2b lead generation (Education, Technology, Media and entertainment, Nonprofit)
Here is a second example we found during our search, using the Contact Us call-to-action. You access and add your call-to-action button by being a page admin, and clicking on your cover page image, according to these Facebook instructions.
- Go to your Page’s cover photo and click Create Call-to-Action
- Choose your call to action and the destination URL that you want to link to. We’ll automatically choose the best destination based on your specified web address, but you can edit these suggested destinations.
- Click Create.
How Will They Perform?
While performance data for the new Fan Page call-to-actions is not yet available, data regarding the performance of the recently introduced call-to-action advertisement buttons in the news feed is, with an impressive click through rate lift of 2.85x, according to AdRoll. There is no reason to believe performance results for the new Fan Page CTA button this year can’t be successful.
The bottom line is that Facebook has been implementing system-wide call-to-action buttons in ads and now on Fan Pages to improve their own platform’s advertising effectiveness, and make their platform friendlier for businesses, as the Wall Street Journal speculates.